Sunday, May 20, 2012

Youthful Strength and Beauty


I recently finished another painting from the photos of my Africa experience.  This one is an 11x14" painting commissioned by Fred and Sherrie Sharpe of Texas who were also one of the generous supporters that helped send me on this trip.  Thank you to them, and again, thank you to all of you who had a hand in getting me there!  I hope that you will be delighted to see that I'm still telling the stories of the people in South Africa.  Don't be surprised that this probably won't be the last image that you see from me either!

You may remember that we had a few hours in a village with permission to take all of the photographs that our little hearts desired.  Many of the shopkeepers were standing out in front of their stalls in the sun.  I shot the photo of this girl from across the street using my zoom lens to catch her unaware.  I think at the time, I was attracted to her colorful clothing and the shapes and lines of her figure.  While scanning through my photos a year later,  it was her youthful strength and beauty that attracted me to paint her.

No comments:

Post a Comment